One of the conditions for my daughter to be in a play is that we do not rehearse on Friday night, more specifically 1 hr before Sundown on Fridays. However, she can rehearse Saturdays 1 hr after the Sunset. We have being so blessed that the play director has agreed from the beginning and no questions were asked, he knew this was for religious reasons. Still people gets curious, and ask why? Some even ask me; what is it that you do in Saturday? Why do you do it? Everywhere I go, if someone notices that I keep the Shabbat they will ask, and honestly, I do not mind at all.
But, while I do not give a theological explanation on why do I keep the Shabbat Holy, I do give my personal reasons, as I believe that the relationship between my creator an me is personal.
So, Here they are my Top 10 Reasons Why I keep the Shabbat.
1. Because after all His work, The Lord rested and sanctified the Shabbat (Genesis 2:2-3)
2. Because the Lord command me to do so (Exodus 20:8 and Deuteronomy 5:12)
3. Because, it is the only day that I totally commit myself in prayer, and meditation of the Lords word. It is the day that I take special delight in The Lord (Isaiah 58:13-14) That does not mean I do not pray the rest of the week, I do pray and study the Lords word all the time, but The Shabbat is specially dedicated to that.
4. Keeping the Shabbat holy is part of me obeying the Lord. Because my house and I are committed to serve the Lord (Joshua 24)
5. Because it brings Joy and peace to my home.
6. Because It is part of our way of living, or week finish at sunset on Friday and we take delight in the Lord.
7. Because it is a wonderful celebration. My family and I love traditions
8. Because I want to live a Godly life by following Jesus (Yeshua HaMashiach) example. He keep the Shabbat holy (Luke 4:16)
9. Because I keep the 10 Commandments as instructed in the Torah (Mathew 5:17-20)
10. Because, my inner Jew tells me I should keep doing so, and to be honest… I love it!
And you my friend why day do you keep for The Lord?